Sunday, October 21, 2012

Medical Summer School in Manchester

I was a little afraid that when I decided to write about Manchester Summer School almost two month after it finished. I thought I won´t be so enthusiastic. But somehow, it didn´t happen. I still think it was fantastic! And I am sure and I can prove it to you :).

My ten days trip to Manchester started by me getting lost. Obviously. Me - alone in Manchester. Like that would ever work out in means of orientation in new places. :-) There is so much more I could write about that weekend before Summer School but I am actually gonna skip that for now with statement "Couchsurfing is awesome". :)

In general, here are the best experience of my stay:
Best experience: 
- I played Laser Tag :) (well, not the most important one but it came first to me)
- I drilled a hole in a bone (well a fake bone, but still), also tried more laparoscopy, sewing, inserting a chest drain to a pig rib cage and much much more
- I had a lot of good food (including Jamie´s!!! and Red Hot Buffet)
- I have experienced UK university canteen
- I have realized that there are a lot of teachers and professors around the world that are actually nice and wants to help you and teach you
- I got many valuable email addresses, and book with a signature
- I have heard people on an international level, professors that publish in best journals, and others that write awesome books and textbooks
- I met sooo many awesome people!
- OMG and I have almost forgotten doubledeckers... that every tourist loves!!!



Organization:
I have to thank our organizators. They dedicated their last week of holidays (and I am sure more than that week) to helping foreign students, showing them around, organizing social programme every single day.. and still had enough energy to party with us in the evening! :)

Accomodation: 
Small but clean accomodation at dorms. Common showers and toilet. Rooms for one. No problems with reception. You could come any time as you had your own entrance card and keys. Beautiful social room with a  piano!

Food:
You get 2 food tickets. I left one for lunch and one for coffee break. Breakfast and Dinner is on you. However, almost every day´s social programme was somehow connected to food with very good discounts. So you won´t be starving!

Money:
Social programme was not so expensive for UK standarts. And we were given many group discounts. You payed for dorms - also less then normal due to the deal - and fee for the summer school. Whole amount from the fee went for organization - that means no proffesor got paid.

And if you are still interested - details in the next article :)

No comments: